Using your Internet abroad
To ensure your data is working while you are roaming, please check before travelling abroad or while roaming by making sure that the data settings (APN) in your device are set to isp.clearmobile.ie.
Without this setting, your data experience may not work while roaming. For simple steps to update your settings, please see Apple and Android instructions below.
Apple users: Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network > APN and enter the following into the field: isp.clearmobile.ie > select left arrow to save settings.
Android users: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > enter the following within the fields in this section:
- Name: Clear Mobile Internet
- APN: isp.clearmobile.ie
- Authentication type: PAP or CHAP
- APN Type: Default
and then save settings.
If you have any questions please contact us through Live Chat or send a private message via our social media channels with our team available Monday to Saturday from 10am until 6pm.
Can I use my phone while roaming in the EU?
Yes, you can use your unlimited calls and texts as well as 15GB of data at no extra cost.
Make sure you have enabled your data roaming on your device to use your data allowance.
How will I know I've used my EU roaming data allowance?
You will receive a text message when you reach 80% and 100% of your 15GB data allowance.
Important network closures around the world
2G and 3G network closures around the world
Our partners around the world are starting to move to 4G and 5G networks and during this transition phase countries will begin to close their 2G or 3G networks.
If a country has closed their 2G or 3G network this may impact how you access voice, SMS and data services when roaming.
What to do in Countries where the 2G or 3G network has already closed
You can continue to make and receive calls and texts using the 3G network when visiting countries where the 2G network has closed. Alternatively, when visiting countries where the 3G network has closed, you can continue to make and receive calls and texts using the 2G network.
List of countries that have switched off their 2G network coverage:
Australia, Belarus, Macau, Mexico, Panama, South Korea, Switzerland and Taiwan.
List of countries that have switched off their 3G network coverage:
Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands and Norway
2G/3G Network closures in USA
Operators in the USA have closed their 3G networks and are beginning to close their 2G networks. Please check this page before you travel for the latest news. We currently have three Roaming partners in the USA that provide nationwide mobile coverage.
· T Mobile USA – connect to this network to make and receive voice calls, SMS or data with any handset model. T Mobile network coverage may be limited or not available in some cities and rural areas.
· Verizon - connect to this network to make and receive voice calls, SMS or data with compatible handset models (see handset list below).
· AT&T- connect to this network to make and receive voice calls, SMS or data with compatible handset models (see handset list below).
Customers using other 4G handset models may also connect to this network for SMS and 4G/5G data. Note – voice calls are only supported on AT&T for the handset models listed below.
Recommendation: You are advised to use 4G handset models when roaming in USA and not to roam in USA with an older handset that only has 2G/3G capability.
To select a network manually switch off automatic network selection in your handset settings and manually search for the list of networks. See section “How can I change the Network when Roaming?” below.
Handset models compatible with the AT&T and Verizon Networks.
The handset models listed below will work on the AT&T and Verizon network for voice, SMS and data.
- Apple iPhone 7 and above running iOS 15.5 or higher will support VoLTE Roaming
Samsung devices running Android 12
- Samsung A03/A03s
- Samsung A12
- Samsung A13/A13 5G
- Samsung A21s
- Samsung A22 5G
- Samsung A23 5G
- Samsung A32 5G
- Samsung A33 5G
- Samsung A41
- Samsung A42 5G
- Samsung A51/A51 5G
- Samsung A52 5G/A52s 5G
- Samsung A53 5G
- Samsung A70/A71
- Samsung A90
- Samsung S10/S10e/S10+/S10 5G
- Samsung S20/S20 5G/S20+/S20 Ultra/S20 FE
- Samsung S21/S21 Plus/S21 Ultra/S21 FE
- Samsung S22/S22 Plus/S22 Ultra
- Samsung Note 10/Note 10+/Note 10 Lite
- Samsung Note 20/Note 20 5G/Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung XCover 5 EE
How can I change the Network when Roaming?
Normally you do not need to change your network when Roaming. Your handset will automatically be connected to the network that provides all of the services with reliable coverage and quality.
If you find you are connected to a network with no service, please select a new network as follows-
Check that your “Data Roaming” and “Mobile Data” are switched on.
· Switch the automatic network selection option off.
· Perform a manual network search. This may take some time to present the list of available networks.
· Select the network to connect to and wait for the connection request to complete. After switching from automatic network selection to manual selection you usually need to request the new network connection several times before it will work.
Note: some of the networks presented on the list of available networks may not provide Roaming Services to Clear Mobile customers and the connection request may not be successful.
When can I make voice calls on 4G when Roaming?
Clear Mobile is working on delivering voice services over 4G (Voice over LTE) for customers when Roaming.
If you are travelling in the US, you can connect to the AT&T and Verizon network for 4G voice services on certain devices (see section “2G/3G Network closures in USA” for more detail). In other countries customers can continue to make and receive voice calls on 2G or 3G where available when Roaming.
We will provide further updates when further voice over 4G services are available